Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tilengine Production Readiness
Hi Marc,

In another thread you mentioned that the windowing in Tilengine is not meant to be used in production systems. In this case, one should consider something like SDL for windowing. I wanted to find out if there are any other components of Tilengine that would not be suitable for production.
Hi Daniel,

Saying that the built-in window is not meant for production, I don't mean that it's buggy or unreliable, I just mean that it may have a limited set of features compared to other environments. Tilengine is just a rendering library to be used as a slave/back-end renderer. I wrote the window just as a convenience, to ease learning, otherwise I would have forced new users to provide their own environment. That's why it implements just basic functionality, although it has evolved quite a bit: windowed/fullscreen modes, multiple players, redefinable inputs with keyboard and joystick, direct SDL access, CRT emulation... But it may still lack some advanced functionality that makes providing own environment a better option. But if t's enough for you, there's nothing wrong with it!

As for production ready, just as with any product that is a personal project not backed up by a commercial company, without resources for comprehensive testing and/or support, and that cannot offer any warranty, should be adopted with caution. That's inherent to any MIT-licensed software (or open license in general), not just Tilengine.