Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile development?
Me again Smile I understand Tilengine is used as the renderer, and you can use SDL to complete the functionality. I was wondering what libraries would you suggest if I wanted to make a retro mobile game, or even a multi-platform game (desktop and mobile).

I know a lot of libraries out there make it easy to detect swipes and other touch screen events.  I might want to make a retro style game, but touch screen gamepads are stupid, and I'd want an interface where you tap where you want your character to move to, etc.

I see in my other thread you mentioned Java support is not being maintained. If that means it's not easy to port to Android, that's fine. This is more just a passing thought for now. Mostly excited about desktop development.
Hi again Smile I appreciate your interest

I really don't know about mobile development so I can't recommend you any libraries... I know the Android Java API provides classes to access the app framebuffer, but I don't have first-hand experience about this.

I built tilengine for Android with the NDK, an entirely separate environment used to port system libraries written in C to android (or create new ones, but this is not recommended by Google). I had to get rid of the built-in windowing, because it uses SDL2 and I had problems linking to its android port. And then it needs an intermediate glue library also built with NDK on top of it to access it from Java (the JNI bridge). That's not easy task that would require much research, and hard work to maintain the JNI bridge up to date. But with the help of somebody with experience and interested on it, definitely tilengine could come to android.

Anyone...? Huh
Ah not to worry - it was good to have an insight as to the situation with Tilengine and Android anyway.   But it would be good to see Tilengine on the mobile phones some day.
Yes, me too! But unless somebody wants to contribute, it's not a priority right now...