Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stand alone SuperMario clone example not working?
Hey again! Just wanting to check out this Super Mario stand alone project (and for the life of me I can't remember where I got it...)

It keeps complaining "\Properties\AssemblyInfo.cs" and "\Properties\Settings.Designer.cs" couldn't be found.  

Also this curious warning;
Warning A custom tool 'SettingsSingleFileGenerator' is associated with file 'Properties\Settings.settings', but the output of the custom tool was not found in the project.  You may try re-running the custom tool by right-clicking on the file in the Solution Explorer and choosing Run Custom Tool. SuperMario

Also I noticed the zip contains 3 "Backup" folders.

Perhaps this zip file isn't the way it should be?
I don't know where you get the zip file you're testing... Huh Is it mine? I know there are lots of "super mario clones" out there...

Please get the latest version from GitHub:
https://github.com/megamarc/SuperMarioClone

Tell me if it's ok
Ah that's the URL - just not sure where I saw it, couldn't find it on the website!  It's somewhere obvious I know.

I re-downloaded it just to be sure.  Now I see - the "Backup" folders are being made by Visual Studio Community 2017 upgrading it.  No problem there.

I still get the same error about the missing files.

I also tried opening it in 2015 - it also upgraded it - and actually still got the same error about the missing files.

Here are the errors (and warning) as they appear in Visual Studio Community 2015 (attached)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ok, let me check it because I use much older versions of VS Studio and there may be some conflict about the project file itself. In fact it is very simple to recreate, just a C# project with all the *.cs files included and build, no special properties are required.

You can also try building from the console:
csc /out:resources\Platformer.exe *.cs
Ok so - I tried compiling on the command line, I got a SuperMario.vshost.exe in the bin folder, which when I double click it, the windows cursor changes to a loading animation briefly but nothing actually happens.  I moved it up one level so that "resources" was underneath it, and also put the 2 SDL2.dll and Tilengine.dll file in the same folder as the exe, and still the same result.

So I recreated the project, added all the .cs files, and put the resource folder in as well, and the 2 .dll files in the bin folder along side the .exe file.  With this, I get an error "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

I've attached a screenshot of the error, and a screenshot of my folder layout Smile

Hi,

Any progress with this? It's the same problem than "platformer.cs" C# example. The suitable version of your Tilengine.dll and SDL2.dll files must be located in the same folder than the executable. This is a common MS Windows requirement, not tilengine specific. The graphic assets must be also located in the same folder, but you can change this behavior with the SetLoadPath() method.
Ok before I fiddle with anything, this is what happens when I download it and run the project as-is;

Back to square one with it saying it can't find Properties/AssemblyInfo.cs and Properties/Settings.Designer.cs.
This is before the exe is built, there is nothing in the bin/Debug folder yet (so it's not the DLLs being there or not).

I've attached a screenshot of the error.

I'm curious why it's having this error - those two files are nowhere in the zip file download, also I don't see them referenced in the project, so where is it being told to look for them?

I've upgraded GitHub project. Now it's based in oloder VS 2005, that can be upgraded to whatever newer version people installs. It doesn't have missing dependencies anymore. After download, just copy the dlls from lib\x64 to the root of the project, where source files are located, and check that the "debug properties" dialog points to "resources" folder.
Woo! It works out of the box. All I did was copy the DLLs as instructed, and I checked the working directory - it was already set to resources Smile I will be able to start playing with this soon.