Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sequence for color cycling
Hey, trying to wrap my head around what the sequence file for the color cycling sample is doing exactly. I understand what “delay” is, but what are the other values doing like “first”, “count”, and “dir”?
Hi,

These values are documented in the TLN_ColorStrip entry:
http://www.tilengine.org/doc/struct_t_l_...strip.html

Each animation strip has a starting color indide the palette, the number of colors (length of the strip), a direction (ascending or descending) and a frame delay to control speed. This is what these parameters mean.
Thank you very much! I didn’t think to look in the structs for this information, haha my bad.

One more question if you don’t mind; I was reading through the reference docs trying to familiarize myself with all the functions and I noticed for TLN_CopyTiles the description says “Use this function to implement tile streaming”, I was wondering what this means exactly?

I am not familiar with the phrase “tile streaming”.
Classic 2D chipsets couldn't fit the entire map of a level in video RAM, but only a small portion, a little bigger than the screen. Game code had to copy or "stream" tiles on the fly from the full level that resided in cartridge ROM, to the video RAM as the player advanced. This is the intended use of TLN_CopyTiles(). However in Tilengine you load the entire map and scroll freely on it, so this feature isn't really useful unless you want to emulate this specific limitation of classic systems.