Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love Tilengine and the 80s :D
Hi Stefano, welcome to the forums!

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Of course there is a lot to improve, I'm just a single guy maintaining it all with some occasional contributions from other people...
  • Documentation is lacking and sometimes out of date, right. It takes a lot of time to write coherent documentation for the different supported languages. The documentation sources are opened in GitHub so anyone can contribute expanding it or providing new examples and demos.
  • I try that the examples focus on graphics programming, not on game mechanics implementation. The samples you mention are buggy, they were intended to show graphic capabilities only, but I made them on the beginning and I still didn't differentiate concepts. More recent samples only show graphics in the simplest way, and to illustrate gameplay mechanics programming I spawned two sister projects on GitHub: SuperMarioClone (C#) and TilenginePythonPlatformer (Python). These two projects implement actual gameplay mechanics.
  • The pdf documentation is quite obsolete, but I can provide the original OpenOffice document. The newest documentation sources are the README.md file in the root folder, the Markdown files with the C sources for Doxygen (C API), and the docstrings in restructured text inside the python binding for Sphinx. I know that both Doxygen and Sphinx can ouput LaTeX given the appropiate config files. Of course you are welcome to enhance the documentation.
For the audio part I recommend you SDL2 with SDL2_Mixer, this adds many audio formats and tracked music support, and it's cross platform.

I disagree about your opinion on languages, but they're just opinions  Smile I'm a systems programmer so I nearly always program in C (and tilengine is fully written in plain C), but I really like python, is a great tool for learning something and test concepts. With very few lines of code you can have something running, and when something fails it pinpoints where is the problem. Truly cross-platform, no different compile flags for each platform, no extra verbose like Java where you have to wrap everything in modules ands classes, no risk of breaking things with wild pointers or memory leaks... It reminds me a lot of the BASIC in 8-bit microcomputers.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, I really appreciate your feedback! I hope you have fun experimenting with tilengine and helping it grow. And don't forget to share your demos!

Saluti alla bellissima Italia Heart

Messages In This Thread
RE: I love Tilengine and the 80s :D - by megamarc - 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM
RE: I love Tilengine and the 80s :D - by megamarc - 12-04-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: I love Tilengine and the 80s :D - by megamarc - 12-12-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: I love Tilengine and the 80s :D - by megamarc - 12-15-2017, 11:08 PM
RE: I love Tilengine and the 80s :D - by Domarius - 08-03-2018, 08:28 AM
RE: I love Tilengine and the 80s :D - by megamarc - 08-05-2018, 05:26 PM